Essential, a leading user-centered design consultancy located in Boston, provides product, interactive, and service design innovation. We are seeking a dynamic individual to lead our industrial design team in collaboration with our Directors of Research, UX, and Engineering. This leader must be able inspire the greatest design work from our staff and from clients. You understand how to strategically approach any creative challenge, identify the opportunity, communicate strategic vision, develop plans to achieve objectives, work effectively across disciplines, and leverage internal talent and external resources to deliver world-class design solutions.
This leader appreciates the value of interpersonal relationships in achieving these objectives. They know how to challenge teams while helping individuals grow professionally. They also understand the value of design over time; forwarding design-thinking practices to help nurture and build client relationships.
Specifically, this person must exhibit the following disposition, skills, and capabilities:
- Highly tuned visual sensibility
- Good technical grounding in engineering requirements and design for manufacture
- Motivated by translating primary research into design criteria
- Proactive in identifying issues and solving problems
- Demonstrated experience working within interdisciplinary team environments and fostering opportunities for cross-disciplinary work and collaboration
Leading and Managing
- Excellent verbal and visual communication skills
- Mentor and Coach staff to seek growth opportunities to maximize potential
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Highly tuned business acumen
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Willing to travel for research and to client sites for workshops and presentations
- Accountable and capable manager of process, resources and budgets
- Authentic and capable developer of relationships and new business
- 10+ years of relevant design and leadership experience
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Industrial Design
Qualified candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail a resume with link to your online portfolio and/or PDF with project samples, and add a short cover letter so that we get a better feeling for who you are, and why you think you’re the right person for the job. Please include “Design Director” in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please. We look forward to hearing from you.
More About Us
Essential Design, located in Boston, has developed an award-winning portfolio of products and services in collaboration with clients from consumer, commercial, and medical domains – ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500s. Our work bridges physical and digital products and services. As a result, our design team aims to enhance holistic user experiences. A cross-section of our recent work includes consumer products, professional equipment, medical devices, health and wellness platforms/communities, ‘green’ building initiatives, and athletic performance monitoring systems. Our office is a casual, loft-like, studio atmosphere with very convenient access to public transit.
Essential provides competitive compensation and benefits packages.